On Wednesday, November 30, a reserve division held a joint-training drill at Tze’elim base; it involved forces from the Israel Air Force, Armored Corps, Paratroopers Brigade and Artillery Corps. After reservists mistakenly fired artillery 100 meters from their own forces, IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz halted the exercise and requested an initial inquiry. The drill resumed later that day, but excluded artillery forces.
Addressing the incident at Tze’elim, IDF Spokesperson Brigadier General Yoav Mordechai stated that “while drills hold risks, it is our job to reduce them to zero.”
IDF Reserve Units:
- Largely composed of soldiers who finished their compulsory service and are under the age of 40
- Called for duty following government decisions, which are influenced by the defense ministry
- Assembled in emergency situations only
- Provide significant and effective contribution during critical missions
- Training is determined by the military and based on security assessments; confirmed by the defense minister and reviewed by the government