Major General Yoav Galant was born on November 1958 in Jaffa.
The following is a list of positions Major General Yoav Galant filled during his service in the IDF:
- 1977: Drafted to the IDF Naval Commandos, “Flotilla 13” – served as a combat soldier, officer, and commander. Participated and commanded many IDF operations throughout his service.
- 1986: Appointed company commander of combat soldiers in the Naval Commandos. Was later promoted to rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
- 1993-1994: Commanded the Jenin Regional Brigade of the Judea and Samaria Regional Division in the IDF Central Command.
- 1994-1997: Commander of the IDF Naval Commandos.
- 1997-1999: Commander of the Gaza Regional Division in IDF Southern Command.
- 1999-2001: Earned Armored Corps qualifications and served as Chief of the Armored Corps. Served as commander of a reserves armored corps division in IDF Central Command.
- 2001-2002: Appointed IDF Ground Forces Executive Officer.
- 2002: Appointed Military Secretary of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, and was promoted to the rank of Major General.
- 2005: Appointed GOC Southern Command, in charge of security along Israel’s southern borders. Maj. Gen. Galant has commanded many operations, most notably operation Cast Lead.
Major General Yoav Galant holds a B.A. graduating with honors, in Business and Finance Management from the University of Haifa.
Major General Yoav Galant is married and a father of three.