Brig.-Gen. Nachman Esh, Head of IDF Medical Corps on Preparations for Aid Delegation to Haiti
14 January 2010
In a briefing earlier today, Brig.-Gen. Nachman Esh, the head of the IDF Medical corps discussed the preparations for the IDF aid delegation to Haiti.
Summary of key points:
- Delegation is scheduled to depart this evening at 20:00, arrive in Haiti on Friday and open hospital on Saturday.
- Delegation prepared to treat trauma patients, and the IDF is currently preparing and loading all of the necessary medical cargo.
- IDF will set up a field hospital with a surgical room.
- 121 medical staff including 40 doctors, a gynecologist, pediatrician, and other medical specialists.
- 100 additional personnel
- Field hospital will be able to treat 500 people a day, and between 40-50 emergency care patients
- Field hospital expected to be in the area of the capital, Israeli delegation which departed yesterday currently coordinating so that aid may be delivered effectively.
- IDF delegation currently planning to stay for 2 weeks.
- The size of this delegation is roughly the same as the one the IDF sent to Buhj, India in 2001 after the earthquake there.