January 16th, 2009
Summary of IDF Operations Overnight
IDF forces, including infantry, tanks, engineering, artillery, and intelligence, continue to operate throughout the Gaza Strip with the assistance of the Israel Air Force and the Israeli Navy.
In a joint IDF and ISA operation in Gaza City yesterday evening, the IAF targeted a building in which the following senior Hamas operatives were residing – Said Siam, Ia’ad Siam and Salah Abu-Sharah. The forces reported a direct hit.
In one incident, a ground force identified a mortar launching squad launching a rocket at Israel and directed aerial forces that attacked the squad, reporting a direct hit.
The IAF attacked approximately 40 targets in Gaza overnight, including:
- A mosque used as a weapons storage facility that housed a tunnel
- A house of a Hamas terror operative
- Six squads of armed gunmen
- Four tunnels
- Eight launching sites, including one in which an armed launcher was destroyed
- Three weapons storage facilities, including a structure in a Hamas training camp
- A number of explosive devices
- Two Hamas outposts
- Additional targets as assistance to ground forces
The Israeli Navy continued to support ground forces operating in Gaza, striking Hamas targets while it continues to enforce the naval blockade in the area.
Seventy five trucks loaded with humanitarian aid are expected to be transferred via the Kerem Shalom crossing. An additional sixty trucks are expected to be transferred via the Karni crossing, as well as fuel via the Nahal Oz fuel terminal.