January 14, 2009
Summary of IDF Operations Today
IDF forces, including Infantry Corps, Armored Corps, Combat Engineering Corps, Artillery Corps, and Intelligence Corps, continue to operate throughout the Gaza Strip with the assistance of the Israel Air Force and the Israel Navy.
A total of 14 rockets were fired into Israel today, no injuries were reported.
104,000 liters of fuel and 108 trucks transporting humanitarian aid to Gaza passed through the Kerem Shalom Crossing today.
The IAF attacked over 50 targets since the early morning hours, including:
· Two company commanders in the Hamas terror organization, in the area of Zaytun, Walid Za’abud and Muhamad Dash, were both involved in launching rockets at Israel and attacks against IDF forces.
· The armed terror cell responsible for launching an anti-tank missile at an IDF force, wounding seven soldiers.
· 15 weapons smuggling tunnels used to transfer Grad and Qassam rockets.
· 10 cells of armed operatives, including a terrorist identified placing an explosive device aimed at IDF forces. Some of these targets were identified in coordination with ground forces.
· 10 rocket launchers, including a launcher located next to a cemetery and an armed Grad launcher ready for use.
· A weapon storage facility.
· Underground launching sites, some armed and ready for use.
Troops operating west of Gaza City uncovered weaponry, including explosive devices, hand grenades, flak-jackets and communication equipment, in a mosque west of Gaza City.
Reserve forces identified a mortar shell launcher aimed at Israel and fired at the terrorist responsible and identifying hitting him.
Today an IDF soldier was severely wounded, two soldiers were moderately wounded and 13were lightly wounded in clashes with terror operatives in the northern Gaza strip.
The wounded soldiers were evacuated to a hospital for further medical treatment. Their families have been notified.