9 January 2009
Summary of Today’s Events
IDF Infantry Corps, Armored Corps, Engineering Corps, Artillery Corps and Intelligence Corps forces continue to operate throughout the Gaza Strip with the support of the Israel Air Force and the Israel Navy.
Throughout Friday (Jan. 9) IDF forces operating in the Gaza Strip hit armed terror operatives in different incidents. An IDF ground force located a house rigged with land mines. Another force identified anti-tank missiles being fired at them, answered with precise fire and identified hitting the terror operatives having fired the missiles. In addition, a house used by the terrorists who shot and killed Sergeant Amit Robinson on Thursday (Jan. 8 ) was targeted by IDF forces.
The IAF attacked over 70 targets since the morning, including:
- Fifteen rocket launching sites
- A charged launcher
- A number of launching squads that launched rockets to Ashkelon earlier during the day
- Three houses of Hamas terror operatives also used as weapons storage facilities
- Two tunnels used for the smuggling of weaponry
- Twenty terrorist sites targeted to support the Ground Forces
- A disguised mortar shell
- Twenty terror operatives
- Four weapons storage facilities
- A vehicle with armed terror operatives
IN forces hit at least ten armed terror operatives during Thursday night’s ( Jan. 8 ) operation. They continued giving support to the Ground Forces throughout the night.
An IDF soldier was moderately wounded and two additional soldiers were lightly wounded during the day.
More than thirty rockets were fired at Israel throughout the day.
Forty one trucks loaded with humanitarian aid were transferred into the Gaza Strip.