January 8, 2009
Summary of Overnight Activity
The operation in the Gaza Strip continued throughout the night, with Infantry Corps, Armored Corps, Engineering Corps, Artillery Corps and Field Intelligence Corps forces operating in large numbers throughout the Gaza Strip, with air and naval support of the IAF and the IN.
The IAF attacked a number of targets, based on IDF and ISA intelligence, including the house of Yaser Natat, who was in charge of the rocket firing program in the Rafah area, and the house of Muhammad Sanuar, the commander of the Hamas Han Yunes Brigade.
In addition, the IAF struck approximately 60 targets throughout the Gaza Strip, including:
- A mosque used as a weapons storage facility and as a meeting place for Hamas terror operatives
- A Hamas Police structure
- Fifteen tunnels used by Hamas terror operatives against IDF forces, some of which were located under houses
- Ten weapons storage facilities
- A number of armed operatives
- Fifteen launching sites and underground launching pads used to fire mortar shells at IDF forces
The Navy, Air Force and Artillery Corps continued to support the Ground Forces throughout the Gaza Strip, striking Hamas targets, groups of gunmen and terrorists identified in rocket launching areas and located near the forces.
One mortar shell was fired into the western Negev overnight.
One IDF soldier was lightly wounded during the overnight activity.
The IDF will continue to operate against the Hamas terror infrastructure in the Gaza Strip according to its operational plans in order to reduce the rocket fire on the south of Israel.