January 6th, 2009
Summary of Today’s Events
IDF forces, including infantry, tanks, combat engineers, artillery, and intelligence, continue to operate throughout the Gaza Strip with the assistance of the Israel Air Force and the Israeli Navy.
Throughout the day IDF forces operating in Gaza uncovered many weaponry caches, rockets, roadside bombs and tunnels used by gunmen to ambush soldiers.
The IAF attacked over 40 targets since the morning, including:
- A vehicle carrying an anti-aircraft missile launcher.
- Eight smuggling tunnels used by Hamas to bring weaponry into the Gaza Strip.
- More than ten groups of gunmen, including one identified planting a bomb.
- Approximately 16 weapons-storage and weapons-production facilities.
- Approximately five rocket-launching spots, including one hidden underground.
An IDF soldier was killed and nine soldiers were wounded in operations in Gaza throughout the day.
The soldier, 21-year-old Staff Sgt. Alex Mashavisky of Be’er Sheva, was killed when gunmen opened fire at troops conducting searches in the northern Gaza Strip. Four other soldiers were lightly wounded in the incident. The forces returned fire and identified hitting the gunmen.
Five other soldiers were wounded in separate incidents, three of them moderately and two lightly.
The IDF will continue to operate against the Hamas terror infrastructure in the Gaza Strip according to its operational plans in order to reduce the rocket fire on the south of Israel.