5 January 2009
Summary of Overnight Activity
The IDF operation continued overnight with many infantry, tank, engineering, artillery and intelligence forces operating throughout the Gaza Strip in conjunction with the Israel Air Force and the Israel Navy.
IAF aircraft struck over 30 targets including:
- A mosque used to store mass amounts of weaponry
- An underground bunker in the area of Gaza city. The attack caused secondary explosions indicating there were explosives inside. Tunnels in the area collapsed.
- A number of smuggling tunnels, near Rafah, used by the Hamas terror organization as passages for terrorists in and out of the Gaza Strip and that formed part of the purchasing and supply system of the organization
- 4 houses of Hamas operatives used to store weaponry
- A rocket launcher
- A suspected anti-aircraft missile launcher
Israel Navy boats assisted the ground forces and attacked a number of targets including rocket launching sites, a bunker and Hamas naval outposts.
An IDF officer and five IDF soldiers were lightly to moderately wounded in two separate incidents of gunfire exchanges in the northern Gaza Strip.
The IDF will continue to operate against Hamas terror infrastructure in the Gaza Strip according to plans in order to reduce the rocket fire on the south of Israel.