Dec 31st, 2008
Evening Summary of IDF Operations
Operation Cast Lead, which aims to reduce Hamas’ capacity to launch rocket attacks against communities in southern Israel, is now in its fifth day. The IDF is engaged in a battle with Hamas and other terror organizations in the Gaza Strip and does not aim to target the Palestinian civilian population.
Summary of humanitarian aid efforts:
- A total of 93 trucks transporting provisions, medical equipment and medicine entered Gaza via the Kerem Shalom crossing. Five ambulances also crossed into the Strip.
- Twelve Palestinians, including two children, were transferred to Israeli hospitals.
Since the early morning hours on Wednesday, the IDF has attacked over 25 targets in the Gaza Strip. These include:
- A mosque in Gaza City used as a as a storage site for Grad missiles and Qassam rockets, as well as a staging ground for launches. The strike set off numerous secondary explosions, caused by the munitions stockpiled in the mosque.
- Weaponry manufacturing and storage facilities in southern Gaza, including a storage site in the Khan Younis area where Amar Abu Ghalula, a senior commander of the Islamic Jihad’s rocket infrastructure, was present. Three additional Islamic Jihad operatives were in the facility at the time of the IAF strike.
- A tunnel in the Khan Younis area, used for the smuggling of operatives and weaponry.
- A Hamas outpost and training camp in the Gaza City area, which was also used as a weaponry manufacturing site and place of assembly for senior members of the terror organization.
- Rocket launching sites, several of which were underground, as well as a number of loaded Grad launchers.
In all the IDF has so far attacked 450 Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip.
The IDF will continue to operate against terror organizations and will not hesitate to strike those involved both directly and indirectly in attacks against the citizens of the State of Israel.